Friday, October 19, 2012

Hubbard Squash

I love fall...I love anything pumpkin...and I LOVE cooking and experimenting with squash. The other day, my son's preschool class took a field trip to the pumpkin farm. We learned all about a variety of squashes. My son very enthusiastically suggested that we buy a Hubbard squash and cook it up (something I have never done before). Not wanting to discourage his enthusiasm, we bought our squash. 
I was not prepared for how big of a hit this squash could be. My kids devoured it! They had it for dessert last night, and breakfast this morning. My husband even ate some for breakfast! I believe I will be purchasing a few more of these this fall!

Hubbard Squash

1 Hubbard Squash
3-4 tablespoons cinnamon, raw honey, and ghee (or organic butter)

1 cup water         

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Cut Hubbard squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
3. Place squash cut side down on baking sheet. Add water to the pan.
4. Bake for approx. 30 minutes...you'll know it's done when you press on the outside and it gives a little
5. Let cool and then scoop out flesh into a large pan
6. Sauté squash over medium heat. Add your cinnamon, honey, and ghee. I used a mashed potato masher (what else are you going to use it for?) to make it nice and smooth and creamy.
7. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment